NHS DENTAL TREATMENT
Urgent or emergency dental treatment will also fall into Band 1 at £23.80.
NB: Cosmetic dentistry is not covered on the NHS.
You do not have to pay for NHS dental treatment if, when your treatment starts, you are:
- under 18
- under 19 and in full-time education
- pregnant or you’ve had a baby within the 12 months before treatment starts
- staying in an NHS hospital and the hospital dentist carries out your treatment
- an NHS Hospital Dental Service outpatient (although you may have to pay for your dentures or bridges)
You can also get free NHS dental treatment if, when the treatment starts or when you’re asked to pay:
- you’re included in an award of Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit guarantee credit or Universal credit (check entitlement after October 31 2015)
- you’re named on, or entitled to, a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate
- you’re named on a valid HC2 certificate
If you’re named on a valid HC3 certificate, you may not have to pay for all your NHS dental treatment. HC2 and HC3 certificates are issued under the NHS Low Income Scheme.
You will not be exempt from paying for NHS dental treatment if you receive one of the benefits below when paid on their own:
- Incapacity Benefit
- contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance
- Disability Living Allowance
- Council Tax Benefit
- Housing Benefit
- Pension Credit savings credit
Proof of your entitlement
You’ll be asked to show your dentist written proof that you’re entitled to financial help with dental treatment. This will vary depending on your circumstances.
NHS Charges are as follows
- Band 1 course of treatment – £23.80
- This covers an examination, diagnosis (e.g. Xrays), and a scale and polish if needed.
- Band 2 course of treatment – £65.20
- This covers everything in Band 1 plus any further treatment such as fillings, root canal work, and extractions.
- Band 3 course of treatment – £282.80
- This covers everything listed in Bands 1 & 2 plus crowns, dentures or bridges.